Considering whether to tap into Facebook Stories to market your business? The time is now!
Even though the “Stories” feature was created by Snapchat several years back, Facebook seems to have made it their own, and with 2.7 billion monthly users (active users, I might add), the audience is too big to ignore.
What are “Facebook Stories”?
Like Snapchat and Instagram, Facebook has a “story” feature where you can reach an audience with visual content in real-time. Essentially, FB Stories are user-generated slideshows of pictures or video content (approximately 20 seconds long) that you post at the top of your Facebook page.
Your audience can only view your story for a short time (it automatically disappears from your page after 24 hours), but their power is certainly incontestable. In fact, this year alone, 500 million people per day use them!
Facebook Stories uniquely engage customers, allowing you to be transparent, the real you, and connect with them in a genuine, intimate way. And we all know that today’s customers expect this kind of transparency from a business. They’re looking to build trust with the businesses they patronize, and this is your opportunity to build it with them.
How to Create Facebook Stories on Your Business Page
Of course, before you can even start sharing your story with your audience, you’ll need to have admin or editing privileges for your business’s Facebook page.
- Once you’ve got your Facebook page open (this will need to be done through a mobile device, not a computer), tap the three dots in the top right corner of your page and choose “Open Camera.”
- Scroll down until you see the option to “Create Story.”
- From here, you can either record a video by holding down the round button or create a slideshow by touching the button once.
- Get creative by adding your location tag, using effects or filters, or “drawing” on your story.
- Click the “+” sign to share!
How to Use Facebook Stories to Market Your Business
1. Create Compelling Content
When you’re sharing story content, you want to make sure it’s engaging and exciting enough to keep your audience gripped. So, rather than posting regurgitations of content they may have already seen, spice it up!
- Give them exclusive “limited time offers” or give them a sneak peek on upcoming deals or projects.
- Start some healthy competition between your audience members and track it through your story. An example? Have your audience take a picture using your product or service and post it to their story and tag you. Feature every 50th customer in your story!
- Make announcements about critical sales or events that relate to your business.
- Hype an event and give post-event news to your audience so that they can “be there” even if they can’t be there.
- Show the “real you” by talking directly to your audience as you close a deal, take a break for lunch, or poke fun at yourself when you mess up.
2. Diversify Your Content
Remember: some of your FB audience may also follow you on Instagram or other platforms. If so, you’ll want to make sure you don’t post the same story content on two or more social media pages.
This can be tough, but consider who is watching you on Facebook. How are they different from your other social media audiences? How can you reach them with content specific to their needs and expectations?
3. Build Your Brand
As we discussed above, you can add effects, filters, stickers, and your own text to your story to spice it up. When using these, make sure that they match your brand image.
If your logo is purple and green, for example, try to use these colors in your story. Use font styles that match the “feel” of your brand, and make sure that the filters you choose don’t contradict with your brand’s style.
4. Collaborate with Your Community
As always, I want to emphasize the importance of building community to effectively market your business. Facebook Collaborative Stories is a feature that allows you to link your story with the stories of others on Facebook.
By doing so, you get to show your audience different perspectives on your business, and you get to reach an even broader audience by connecting with the followers of your followers.
You can also use this feature to allow your employees or colleagues to get in on the game. Build your brand by featuring their unique perspectives, and show your audience that you’ve got an incredible team backing your business.
Simply use Facebook Collaborative Stories to connect your story with those of your teammates and watch as your influence begins to spread.
5. Track Your Performance
Facebook makes it possible for you to know who is viewing your content so that you can tailor your videos or slideshows to them. For more insight, make sure you turn your “archive” feature on. It allows you to save your stories even after the 24 hour post period.
Then, when you’ve got some extra time, you can take a look at which content performed the best. You can also re-share it if you need to instead of reinventing the wheel.
Start Adding to Your Facebook Story Today
Your story mimics real-world interaction in a way that few other marketing methods can. That’s why it’s important to get in on the game today. Your audience values authenticity, so let them learn about you in a raw, genuine way through your story — that’ll keep them coming back for more.
Latest posts by Lorita Marie Kimble (see all)
- 5 Tips To Use Facebook Stories to Market Your Business - November 4, 2019
- Why an In-Depth Understanding of Your Customers Is the Only Marketing Strategy You Need - November 4, 2019